It can be tough to keep your office clean and tidy especially if there are a number of people working in the area.
One way to ensure cleanliness is to hire a commercial cleaning company to come and do all of the cleaning for you, however if you would prefer to do the work yourself or to get your employees to help out with it there are a few basics you should make sure are completed:
- It is a good idea to keep some cleaning essentials such as paper towels, disinfectant spray, polish, cloths and screen wipes in a cupboard or drawer in your office. Let the other staff know they are there so they can clean up after themselves, or think about working out a rota of office cleaning tasks and assigning these to different staff members.
- Make sure the floor in your office is regularly swept or hovered, especially if people tend to eat at their desks. Keeping the floors free of crumbs and dirt will help prevent rodents and insects becoming a problem in your office.
- Make sure everything has a place and that it is kept in the correct place, if you have finished with paperwork file it, don’t let it mound up on your desk creating a mess, and you really don’t need a hundred pens and pencils littering your desk, keep them all in a pen pot or in your desk drawers. It is much easier to work in a clean and tidy space.
- Make sure the kitchen area is cleaned daily to prevent dirt and germs spreading, this could be completed on a rota system by all staff.
- Make sure all staff wash-up after themselves and that if they make a mess in the break room they clean up after themselves. This can include wiping the surfaces and cleaning out the microwave if food spills or splatters.
- It is also important to make sure all staff label any food they bring in and make sure it is disposed of if it goes out of date.
- Phones are a breeding ground for germs so it is a good idea to wipe them down daily with a disinfectant wipe to keep them hygienic, and make sure this is something every member of staff does to keep the whole office germ free.
These are just some of the basics, make sure you keep up with these cleaning duties and your office should remain relatively clean and germ free. However make sure you carry out a deep clean every so often by carrying out tasks such as moving furniture and cleaning behind it, and wiping down all of the surfaces.